me time.

these days, i have an excessive amount of what i'm going to call "me" time. i used to consider myself one of those people who absolutely values their alone time...the kind of person who would need a break after being around other people for extensive periods of time. however, in a turn of events, i wound up living with my boyfriend for nearly three years. and our home life did not involve staying out of each others' ways - we slept in together, ate meals together, watched movies together and surfed the internet side-by-side. and to my surprise, our "us" time fulfilled my need for "me" time.



but now i find myself 800 miles away from him, and i'm slowly re-orienting myself with what it means to have "me" time with just me. i'd be lying if i said i didn't feel completely lost at times (no one to eat with? no one to talk to at night?). but, for the most part, new york city is kind to those who have an abundance of alone time.



today, i spent the day browsing the many teeny record stores in downtown manhattan. and there was a great feeling of accomplishment when i uncovered my finds all on my own.





i found velocity girl's "copacetic" album! as you may know, i am a big fan of black tambourine, so it's only fitting for me to like velocity girl as well. it's a natural progression from black tambourine, a lot smoother and poppier and definitely the type of music i always end up listening to on repeat in the summer. since i've been listening to velocity girl so much lately, i felt like it was a stroke of luck to come across their first album on colored vinyl. sidenote: also nabbed their second album on cassette....yes, i'm developing an unstoppable fiendness for analog audio...



...because i also couldn't resist this 7", circa 1996, from versus.  i just recently got their album "the stars are insane" and loved it instantly....so this was a no-hesitation buy.





and yes, i have plans to make little mixtapes with all this analog audio and "me" time!



are you familiar with veniero's? it seems like a destination spot for tourists...but man. it's actually quite worth your while. it's great for those who are both indecisive AND gluttonous, because their desserts come in miniature sizes, so you can fill up a small box for around $5-7.





...and then you can proceed to eat it ALL in one sitting, which is exactly what i did (washed down with a few scoops of ben and jerry's!). the chocolate cannoli is quite possibly the best i've ever had. not pictured: cream puff, because i had devoured it before i thought to snap a picture...





so there you have it. "me" time = indie pop and sweets.



too typical?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger

Labels